YOU are the Community in Community Services League
Even in times of abundance – and especially in hard times – people struggle. Sometimes their challenges arise from circumstances. Sometimes choices. Sometimes plain bad luck.
At CSL, we don’t judge. We act.
We provide tools, resources and training to help people lift themselves up. Believe their lives can get better. Increase the chance that they will get better. Make our community safer, healthier and happier for everyone.
CSL promotes self-sufficiency and provides resources to those in need in Jackson County, MO. Founded in 1916 by a group of concerned women including First Lady Bess Wallace Truman, CSL is one of the largest social services providers in the five-county metro area and the only provider at many of its seven area locations.
With seven (7) locations around the county, 18 paid staff members and more than 200 volunteers CSL was able to provide the following services in 2010:
- 20,516 Households Served equating to 52,184 Individuals Served (+5%)
- 304 Clients Employed (+31%) & 131 Retained Work (+48%)
- 3,825 Job Referrals Provided to the Unemployed (-4%)
- $544,924 in Food (+3%) and $80,606 in Clothing Distributed (-19%)
- 363 Families provided $80,768 in Housing Assistance (-23%)
- 2,142 Families Provided $480,869 in Utility Assistance (+12%) … this breaks down to Electricity – $419,125 // Gas/Propane – $45,056 // Water – $16,688
- 291 Families Placed in Permanent Housing (-15%)
- 5,416 Counseling Services Provided (+22%)
- 2,776 Senior Citizens Assisted (-12%)
- 17,791 Referrals Provided for Services (+2%)
- 4,915 Individuals Participated in the Christmas Store (+17%)
- 1,388 Children received School Supplies to Start the Year (+2%)
- 1,596 Volunteers Provided 35,793 Hours of Service (+17%)
- $74,129 in eye exams, hearing aids, glasses & prescriptions (+40%)
Unfortunately more than 8,000 families (+14%) were unable to obtain more than $2.35 million in assistance due to available funding, governmental budget cuts and other participation criteria not being met.
With your assistance CSL continues to lessen the demand through a network of coordinated programs, services and a robust employment program getting clients back in to the work force making a meaningful wage.